With the increasing ease of international travel, it is very common for families to have lived or worked in more than one country, and for couples to hold different nationalities or to own assets overseas. This can lead to complex and potentially urgent legal issues if the parties separate, for instance the need to issue a Petition for Divorce quickly in order to secure jurisdiction in this country if there is a risk of your spouse issuing a Petition in a less favourable jurisdiction, or to freeze assets in another jurisdiction to prevent their dissipation.
All members of our team have experience in international disputes and in particular, Miranda Green is a Resolution Accredited Specialist in International Family Law.
We are also founding members of the Cicero League of International Lawyers and have easy and quick access to expertise across the globe.
Services we provide
- Urgent Petitions for Divorce if there is a risk of proceedings being filed in another jurisdiction
- Advice about forum shopping (choosing the most financially advantageous jurisdiction for your case)
- Established links to expert family lawyers in many other jurisdictions
- Applications for Financial Provision in this jurisdiction where there has been a Divorce overseas (Part III Applications)
- Applications for Financial Remedies in respect of overseas assets
- Pre and post nuptial agreements with an international element and liaising with overseas lawyers to ensure that the agreement is appropriate in all relevant jurisdictions
- Applications for injunctions in respect of other jurisdictions
- Acting in a High Court Divorce with simultaneous Hungarian and English proceedings and a Part III claim
- Advising in respect of an pre-nuptial agreement protecting our client’s £100 million pound fortune, involving issues with several other jurisdictions
- Acting in a Divorce involving assets worth in excess of £50 million, many of which are overseas